Wednesday, February 9, 2011

In Defense of February

Who else hates February? Valentine's Day? Punxatawny Phil? Seasonal Affective Disorder? Snow?

Yes. February sucks. Yes. It is evil and must be stopped. Yes. It is merely a bridge between the despair of January and my birthday. Yes. I hate that I'm a Pisces now and not an Aries. Yes. A ram is cooler than a fish. Yes. I'm way off topic.

Actually, Punxatawny Phil is adorable, like all God's ugly little critters. Snow is temporary, and SAD is intermittent; the Earth's northern hemisphere has been tilting towards the sun for a month and a half now, so the worst really is behind us. Perhaps most importantly,
Valentine's Day is just an attempt to organize Spring Fever, and is therefore doomed to failure.

Also, February is the shortest month. Small price for a quick reminder of what life would be without summer (insert John Keats reference here).

Looking on the bright side. Must be the drugs. Or the recognition that life is all about choosing your consequences, and making peace with the negative aspects of getting through life. Or the recent increase in exposure to direct sunlight. Or my discovery that vegetables are edible. The other day I even realized (to my grating chagrin) that there are things about my day-job that I (skin-crawling) kind of like.

Something's messing with the Dark Side here, and I will seek it out.

Meantime, Happy Valentine's Day or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment