Tuesday, April 12, 2011

People I Emulate Tonight... and the Matrix

Yes, I watched the English-language leaders' debate last night. No, I'm not going to rant about it. I'll leave that to better men. I'm on a whole 'nother trip today.

In my little ongoing fight against negativity, I encounter personal obstacles, like anybody else. Too often (as in all the time with occasional breaks) I allow these distractions to take the place of focus. Eyes fall from the prize and become the contest. This is bad.

On the Job (the one that pays the bills), it's a matter of confronting the things I do not want & trying to find the lesson and/or joy in the moment; this is something with which I have always struggled, but at which I'm getting better. It can be carried too far though. This has reached the point of distraction.

From what?

Off the Job, I am recovering from the Job. This is typical, no? I still have ambitions in me that won't let up, and I am increasingly distracted from them by the thing that's keeping me alive to pursue them.

Sound familiar?

Once in a while, I encounter someone on the Job who reminds me what I'm doing on this planet. A couple days ago a woman thanked me for the beverage I had prepared with speed and precision. I answered that it was my karma to do so. She said "Only if you truly embrace it."

Let's get it straight here. I take my pathetic little Job with a contradictory combination of seriousness and salt. There are many things I'd rather be doing (maybe hundreds, although I tend to lose count after 3), so I do the work as quickly as I can; this is the speed factor, and gets me out of the place at the earliest time I can manage. I also have a lot of respect for my coworkers, and do my utmost on the Job to make sure the one who follows me is in the best possible position to do their Job.

This blend of speed and dedication is what I like to call "efficiency." I learned it all by myself, and have no one to thank for it... unless there's a Divine Presence that teaches us things no one else can teach us (a possibility I am unable to entirely discount).

For the parts of life that fall outside the Job, I have to thank many people for their inadvertent lessons to me. Here's a sample:

Isaac Ellis: Your transformation over the past year has been something to behold. The laughing lotus I see today is a far cry from the onion who was trapped in the gravitational field of a singularity yesterday... not to put too fine a point on it. Thank you for the lessons in courage and honesty with the self.

Mindbender Supreme: I know your frustration with this planet knows no bounds, and yet you maintain a core of peace and love that would send Neil Young into envious convulsions. Thanks for the lessons in excellence.

Lexx Analog: I don't know where you get your energy from, but I want 2 of whatever you're on.* You are the best kind of shameless, the most dangerous kind of tireless, and have the coolest mutton chops this side of Wales. Thanks for the lessons in persistence... and the photos. :D

MC FUBB: Quite possibly the most slept-on Hip-Hop artist in the Dot, you seem to go about your hustle in the background of every music event - not pimping yourself out from the rooftops, but quietly engaging mofos one at a time, on the spot as they approach. Thanks for the lessons in patience.

C-Lo: A journey begins with a single step; this we know. A journey is comprised of many steps; this we also know. What steps must be taken towards the end of the journey? This we must learn by trial and error (emphasis on error for most of us). And without a self-drawn road map, we either run around in circles or follow somebody who might be a bigger fool than we imagine. Some of us get discouraged after having followed many fools and run in many circles. Thank you for helping me to define the steps between the starting point and the destination... and for being the best girlfriend in human history.

James Pew: I have been a witness to many of your more recent triumphs and defeats. Your dedication to the Independent movement is clear, even when you are beset with personal crisis. You are a man of obvious strengths and weaknesses, and your struggle to balance them is exemplary. Thank you for the lessons in single-mindedness.**

There are many others, obviously. I know more than 6 people, and they all teach me things without trying to. I might even have to start another blog some time, and just call it "The Gratitude Express" or some shit like that.

In any event, the moment is telling me it is time now to stop talking about it and DO it. So, you know... See you later.

*Turns out it was just coffee.

**Single-Mindedness (noun): The discipline of keeping one's goals in focus and remaining dedicated to them, without necessarily disregarding the rest of reality. See also "keeping things in perspective."

No comments:

Post a Comment